George Morgan’s involvement with Grange Netball Club began almost 50 years ago, in 1970, when he was dating Barbara Dodd (now Barbara Morgan) and he started coming to watch her play netball. Soon he became the transport manager for the team, driving them around in a VW Kombi Van!
In 1973, after umpires failed to arrive at the courts, George reluctantly agreed to umpire one match, as Barbara’s team was already warming up and the opposition was already at the courts. George swore that this was the only match he was ever going to umpire!
Well, we all know how that turned out!
Over the next 45 years, George would become a pivotal member of our club and the association, including the following roles:
- He served as Vice President on the club committee for many years
- He served on the SAUCNA Umpires Committee, both as a general committee member & also as the Vice President -in this role helped to organise many training sessions for umpires from all clubs and of all experience levels.
- He was selected in a SAUCNA Men’s team in 1986 & 87.
- After the 87 CANA championship, Geroge decided to concentrate on umpiring & obtained “B” badge to be able to nominate as a SAUCNA representative umpire in 1989.
- George obtained a SAUCNA “A” badge and the CANA “A” badge in 1995.
- In 2000, George travelled to Singapore with CANA, and umpired an international “friendly” match which Singapore was using as their Open National trials!
- In 2014 George Morgan was awarded the 'Golden Whistle' for 40 years of umpiring with the Grange Netball Club.
- This year will be the 28th CANA Carnival at which George has been an umpire.
George continues to umpire for both our Club and SAUCNA.
George's vast umpire experience is valued by our Club. Our Club is privileged to have George mentor our new umpires and also facilitate of our annual 'Umpire Training' course.